Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hand tossed pizza

Well school is about to be dismissed for the summer and mom's are scrambling to find things to keep the little one's busy.  Well letting children participate in the preparation of their meals is one way to keep them busy. get them to eat and pass on a little family tradition.  Things that will be remanenced in their adult life with pleasant memories.  I recently made a trip, along with my sister, to stay with my grandchildren a few days and when I visit, we always cook.  On this trip, we made our own pizzas and had them for dinner.   On my last cooking show I shared this with my own children and our viewing audience.  So, let's get started.
Hand Tossed Pizza
1 bag frozen yeast bread rolls, thawed and risen
1 jar pizza sauce
shredded cheese of your choice
  I used white american
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
topping of your choice
 For the savory pizzas I used:
pepperoni
left over meat loaf, crumbled
feta cheese, crumbled
roasted sliced tomatoes
roasted bell peppers, sliced
sliced mango
spinach leaves
fresh basil, minced
chopped smoked turkey
sliced olives
sliced greek peppers
For the dessert pizzas I used:
mini chocolate chips
baked sliced apples, baked with a little sugar and cinnamon
Putting it all together:
1. Take a handful of the thawed and risen yeast dough, on a floured surface form a ball and press out till flat and the size mini pizza desired.
2. Place the mini pizza dough rounds on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam.
3. For the savory pizzas, put a base of pizza sauce, spread with spoon and leave about 
1/2 inch from edge clean, no sauce.
4. Now get creative with any combonation of ingrediants that you or your children desire.
5. Place in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, cool for 5 minutes, slice and enjoy.
6. For the dessert pizza,  blend the softened cream cheese and the powdered sugar until smooth.  Now, spread a layer of sweetened cream cheese, leaving that 1/2 inch rim clear.
7. Now let's get creative again. top with any of the sweet toppings that you have chosen, one or a combination.
8. Place in pre-heated 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, cool 5 minutes, slice and enjoy.

As you can see, we had a great time and all the kids loved it.  This is one of my favorite things to share with my children, grandchildren and friends.  It brings joy to my life, all the kids have fun and hopefully, this will help bring cooking back to the home for this generation, which is my desire.
As always, find something that you love and share it with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment